Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A store of which to be Proud!

In the beginning, the recycling bin that I set up at work saw very little action. That's not to say there wasn't any paper around to recycle. There was plenty. My co-workers were just in the habit of throwing it all in the trash cans rather than recycling it. Initially, I actually started pulling paper out of the trash cans to make sure something got recycled. Before you judge me, let me just say that I only pulled from the tops of the cans and did not reach to the bubblegum graveyard bottoms.

However, after about a week, something strange started to happen. The recycling bin started attracting paper. After about 2 weeks, the force of recycling increased even more to include things other than paper. (The sign on the bin says "paper only," but I can't turn away a cardboard box, among other things, that longs to be recycled.) I'm pleased to report that, in just a few weeks time, my co-workers adopted recycling to the point that they now save entire boxes of things that would otherwise be thrown out to see if I'll recycle them instead. (e.g. boxes of un-used promotional flyers) Everyone now thinks before they throw away, and that's all it takes to start a recycling trend.

Today, I took the david's bridal recycling to the recycling center, and it actually took up my entire backseat.

The Lesson: Start making positive changes for the world and others will join your efforts faster than hollywood remakes movies, which is pretty darn fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment