Wednesday, June 1, 2011

If a Squash Can Make You Smile

One of my life dreams is to be an old woman with an extensive garden. Both of my grandma's and my Mom all garden, so it might be in my blood. Despite having been bred to grow plants, however, I feel like I know almost nothing about gardening. I think that the best way to learn, though, is to just jump in with both feet. To start planting and tending and ask questions/seek advice as I need it.

So, today I tended my garden. I'm sorry if this seems like a cop-out of a daily 'g' deed, but I feel like having a garden has enough global benefits that it needs to be discussed. So, I chose today to write about it! And, I really did tend my plants today, too.

A few weeks ago, Josh and I joined the new "grow-your-own-food" movement and started our own urban garden. We bought a few pots, purchased seedlings at the local Farmer's Market, and planted some vegetables. We are the proud parents of 4 broccoli plants, 4 green bell pepper plants, and 1 tomato plant. We're planning to expand the operation in the coming years, but, for now, it's a fledgling hobby.

Growing your own food is good for the world for several reasons:
1) You know exactly where your food comes from and what went into producing it. For instance, you can be sure that no harmful chemicals were used and/or that no workers were exploited.
2) Fuel and resources are saved as no form of transportation, other than walking, is necessary to bring the food from garden to table.
3) Plants improve air quality and so combat pollution.
4) Organic gardening actually revitalizes the soil itself.
5) Biodynamic gardening creates a sort of habitat for certain wildlife and encourages a symbiotic relationship with nature. Plus, it maximizes food production in a given space.
6) Growing food is cheaper than buying food.
7) Gardening together is a positive experience to share with others, OR gardening alone is good way to relax.
8) No tomato will ever taste as satisfying as the one you grow yourself.

More on Biodynamic Gardening. "Biodynamic gardens make it possible to grow lots of food in very little space." Incidentally, this could be a solution to the emerging food shortage.

Happy Dirt Digging!

No comments:

Post a Comment