Monday, June 20, 2011

From a Girl who loves Newsies

Today, I read the news! Like I've said in previous posts, it's important to be informed about what's going on in the world. In this way, I can stay aware of what issues need to be addressed and the ways that others are helping to make the world a better place. When you know what's going on around you, then you can discover ways to contribute and make positive impacts!

Be aware that often news venues are "slanted." Some are right-slanted and some are left-slanted. They are all slanted though. So, I try to vary my news sources to get the most accurate picture possible.

If you feel like you need a way to force yourself to read news but want to start reading it, then I suggest subscribing to a periodical. That way, news comes to you regularly whether you like it or not. Start by reading only the stories with headlines that appeal to you. If you're like me, you'll gradually find yourself reading more and more. Recycle when you're done of course. :)
OR, I also watch The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. The comic twist makes them a sort of gateway drug for news.

My favorite news websites are
www.commondreams.org

www.nytimes.com

Also, I would love to subscribe to www.thenation.com if I had a bit of extra money lying around for periodical subscriptions.

Finally, don't overlook your local paper when choosing a periodical. It needs your support! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment