Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Rafiki Would Be Proud

Starting today, I'll be in Georgia with my family for the next couple days. My sister is graduating from OCS! Congratulations! :)

In any case, that means that I spent a significant portion of the day either on an airplane or alone in an airport. You may or may not believe me, but I'm something of an introvert at heart. So, though I find most of flying uncomfortable, I like to take advantage of traveling as an opportunity to think. That said, as my world-bettering action, I wrote a personal mission statement today. I think a person needs to take the time to self-reflect and evaluate her purpose in the world. Think about what you personally care about and where your passions lie. Think about what you hope to accomplish in life. For me, this type of 'meditation' focuses me and energizes me. It also ensures that my actions are not simply robotic replicas of something I've been told to do but are actually sincere manifestations of the things I believe in. When this concept is applied to altering one's life habits to make the world a better place, even small changes are more likely to endure if they are spurred on by true conviction rather than merely a feeling du jour. So, look inside and consider what principles you believe in and feel passionate about. Then, think of ways to live out those beliefs.

My mission statement is this:
I endeavor to hurt nothing unnecessarily and to, day by day, champion the causes of those who and that which cannot speak for themselves so that the world might sustain and that life might improve for all those living now and for generations to come.

Additional Thoughts:
I respect and understand that everyone has reasons for doing the things they do.

The world is not ours to abuse and destroy. Arrogance created this idea, and selfishness perpetuates it. The refusal to use the creativity endowed to us as human beings to find and use methods of living and producing that are at most minimally harmful merely because it is at present cheaper and easier is, ultimately, not even self-serving but is merely and detrimentally lazy.

It's a work in progress! :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment