Thursday, June 30, 2011

Let's call this Day 66 :)

I thought it would be easier to keep writing this blog once summer started, but it's actually harder for 2 reasons:

1) I've been busy studying for grad school entrance exams, which I need to pass in order to avoid paying to retake undergraduate classes when I start a masters. Zoinks.

2) It took less than 66 days to make living to create a better world a habit. :) That is, in the beginning, I had to actively think of an action to improve the world each day and then choose to do those things. After researching and writing the blogs to support those actions, I'm more convinced than ever of the benefits and necessity of making lifestyle changes that benefit the world. I'm convinced to the point that the changes are things I now do naturally.

For Example:

I now naturally decide whether or not trash can be recycled rather than simply throwing it in the trash.
I use re-usable bags instead of plastic bags.
I choose to buy locally and/or fair trade whenever possible and consider whether or not items I wish to purchase can be purchased locally.
I choose not to support factory farming by eating a vegetarian diet.
We're volunteering for Big Brothers Big Sisters. We're doing something that truly matters, and we get a cool little brother in the process.
I vote every chance I get.
I watch the news and listen to npr every day to stay informed.
I go to every community event I can, and I really look forward to them!
I turn off lights, appliances, my car, etc...when I'm not using them to save energy.
I try to re-use instead of re-buy.
I recognize that every dollar I spend supports something, so I'm increasingly conscious of what my dollars support and spend accordingly.
Most importantly, I'm more connected to the world around me and consciously try to be compassionate of people, animals, and the environment with everything I do.

I try. I try, and it makes a difference. Day by day the world gets better because of the choices I make. Do your choices make the world better? I'm not so naive as to suggest the quaint notion that my actions alone will change change the course of the world, but human beings are, by nature, social. We are connected to each other. No man is an island. Thus, my actions will influence those around me and radiate out. So will your actions. Our collective actions will change the world. It is our collective actions that make the world what it is now-the dwindling resources, increasing air pollution, diminishing clean water, slavery, massive ocean 'landfills,' abused and neglected people, abused and neglected animals, endangered animals, plastic bag paradise, etc... I don't kid myself into thinking these things don't matter. They do. "If nothing matters, then there's nothing to save."

Collective change starts with one person, like me. Or, you. All we have to do is commit and try. And, keep trying.
The End. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment