Sunday, June 19, 2011

1 post: 2 days! Such efficiency!

This weekend has been an example of how easily (and quickly) living to create a better world can become a lifestyle. Between yesterday and today we've surpassed my "1 deed per day to improve the world" goal.
Here's what we did:
1) We recycled. That is, we took our home recycling to a recycling center.
Link
2) We went to 3 community events! Let me just go on record saying that community functions are actually really fun. I was a skeptic, but they're wonderful. Since making a point to become involved in Bloomington life and to take advantage everything the town has to offer, I appreciate the area and even enjoy it. Admittedly, I prefer city life, but Bloomington is actually a great little town. I used to focus on where I would rather be living and on all of the reasons that I'd rather not live here, which I think is a common mindset among people in general. However, this isn't a healthy or productive way to live; this mindset actually impeded my happiness severely.
Accept your community as your community. Take responsibility for it and pride in it. Participate in it! You'll be happier and your community will be richer because you're a part of it.

3) We bought groceries at the local Farmer's Market. Find a farmer's market and
Look up your state, and find out what's in season at a local farmer's market. 'Currently growing' food is fresh and perfectly ripened, and, therefore, tastes better. Purchasing from a farmer's market also fuels the local economy without using extra-fuel to get to you and, in turn, is better for the environment and the community. :)

4) We bought groceries at a local food co-op. What is a co-op? This link will also help you find a co-op near you.

5) We didn't use a single plastic bag!

6) We didn't eat any meat. We have almost been vegetarians for an entire month now, and it's great. I highly recommend it! Also, read this book. This book was recommended to me, and now I'm recommending it to you. It's not a book of 'reasons to be a vegetarian;' it's a book about why people eat meat and how dietary/farming habits have changed in the last century. I think people should know where their food comes from because we put it in our body every day, which makes it a pretty big deal. It's a fast read, too.

7) We rented a movie from a locally-owned rental shop, which actually had a much better selection than Family Video. I wouldn't recommend the movie we watched though: Another Year .
It got good reviews, but I really have no idea why. It's boring and appears to have no story line. However, if you enjoy realistic characters and dialogue, give it a watch.

8) We hung out with friends! Good company. Good drinks. And, of course, video games. It was a great way to relax!

9) I called my Dad. Well, I will call him in 10 minutes. Don't forget the people who love you!

Let me finish this post by emphasizing that we didn't go out of our way to do any of these things. Once you know what actions improve the world and how to do them, it's natural. It's about replacing old habits with new habits. Also, don't feel overwhelmed by the idea that you have to do everything possible to improve the world. You don't. Just do something, and build from there. :)

1 comment:

  1. M,
    I'm so glad that you like the book & that you're sharing it with your readers. It really is eye-opening and informative. I would also recommend JSF's fiction works as well!

    ReplyDelete